Friday, July 29, 2011

Melting pot of California

In my English 1A class that I took this summer, we had to read a book called Mirror On America.  It's basically a collection of articles and essays that have to do with different aspects of America, things like discrimination and whatnot.  I initially thought the book was a load of crap because it makes us Americans look a whole lot more racist than we are, but then again, I live in California, which is probably one of the most diverse states in the country.

My sister pointed out something which I've come to really appreciate, which is that I find it totally normal to be walking down the street, or shopping at the grocery store, or just listening to music, and I'll hear people talking and not know what the hell they're saying.  It could be Spanish, Hmong, Hindi, German (well, European languages aren't very common on the street, unless you're living in San Francisco or something), Chinese, or whatever.  It's just a part of our daily lives.

I know some people who live rather sheltered lives, and when some other-language-speaking couple walks buy us when we're hanging out, they'll totally freak. "Like, did you hear that? What the hell was that? It was like chingaraaarghabulandapurtaaaaaa!" Usually, I kinda just laugh, but if my friend hadn't said anything about it, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

At the same time, when I went on my trip to Hearst Castle and San Francisco, I was trippin', what with all the different languages goin' around there.  But again, that's because I was surrounded by Slavs and Germans and Koreans, who are rare commodities over in Stockton (>////<).

Anyway, I'll post some stuff here to help you further appreciate multiculturalism. (Oh, and yes the music playlist that I have on auto-play here on my blog is part of my WOHOO FOREIGNERS ROCK movement).



I think that's enough for now.  There's not as much variety as I'd like, but I think you can see where my preferences lie (: I'll keep on working on this for the future, and someday write some super awesome post.

No comments: