Thursday, January 19, 2012

Notes and Conclusions


Something not-so-funny happened. Instead of me running away from my problems, my problems are running away from me. And then I encounter new ones.
Yup, life as usual. And because it's life as usual, I won't spare you with any of the depressing details of my day and skip right to my conclusion:


I hate being both a high school student and a student at the local community college. I don't fit in either environment because of it.  I have to worry about graduating from high school because college classes get in the way, and then I don't get into my college classes because I'm still in high school and don't have any priority.  If I was some D-average, eighteen-year-old high school-dropout pothead, I could probably get into any college class I wanted. If I went to an average high school, I'd be acing all my classes, be on a sports team, and even have enough time for a job. I swear to God, when I have kids, I will never let them do what I'm doing right now. Screw if this is supposed to save money, it's not worth all the trouble.


Phew, glad to get that off my shoulders. In other news, I finished watching Naoki Urasawa's "Monster". The second-to-last episode was amazing, the last one not as much, although the ending was quite peculiar.  As I've said before, I'm not particularly good with reviews, so I'll just write what I thought when I first finished the series:

The first half of the last episode was a very typical epilogue, something to satisfy the audience's curiosity of what happened to everyone in the end.  When Tenma met with Johann one last time-- now that was some scary shit.  I certainly wasn't expecting that. Tenma "wakes up" screaming, but clearly that conversation with Johann wasn't a dream. How could Tenma make that information up? Plus, the series ends with the empty hospital bed-- Johann really had awoken.  However, the window is open. Is this "escape" or was it "suicide"? Perhaps suicide was escape for Johann?

Was Johann's complex all because he knew that his mom couldn't tell the twins apart? He wasn't the one starved in the Mansion of Red Roses, so the monster inside of him is the result of brainwashing and that single memory?  Is that what distinguished him as the "ultimate beast" among the other 511 Kinderheim orphans? Namely, Roberto and Grimmer?

Why was it that Johann felt such a close connection to Tenma? It felt even deeper than his connection to his sister or Franz Bonaparta.  In the end, the one he chose to see the scene for Doomday was Tenma.  It is Tenma to whom he reveals that memory of when his sister was taken to the Mansion of Red Roses. He left his messages for Tenma. Why? Is it because Tenma brought him back to life? Because Tenma believes all life is equal?

There were other comments that I wrote about Grimmer, Roberto, and even the drunk that shoots Johann, but in the end the only characters who's development I find interesting were Tenma and Johann.  I can't believe that Tenma saved Johann's life once again...

I have an assignment or two to do before school starts in about three hours, so I'll part here. Thanks for reading. (^ ^)/


No comments: